Design, planning, coordination and optimization of broadcast networks with
CHIRplus_BC is a highly advanced software solution for planning and coordination of analogue and digital broadcast services. CHIRplus_BC reflects all aspects of modern and efficient broadcast network design by incorporating a highly sophisticated geographic information system, an ergonomic graphical user interface, a powerful database application and exceptional broadcast engineering features. It is suitable for regulators to optimize spectrum usage and network operators to plan and optimize network roll-out.
Key features of CHIRplus_BC include:
Network Planning and Optimization
- MFN and SFN planning of countrywide networks
- Various interference calculation methods
- Detailed network analysis results
- SFN delay optimization
- Population analysis
- Import and analysis of measurement data
Frequency Planning and International Coordination
- Frequency scan analysis
- Identification of appropriate frequencies
- Consideration of international frequency plans
- Handling of assignment and allotments
- Automation of coordination processes
- Direct data access to ITU BR IFIC
- Support of electronic notification formats
CHIRplus_BC provides dedicated planning and coordination features for terrestrial broadcast systems including digital radio (T-DAB, IBOC, HD Radio, DRM, DRM+) and digital television (DVB-T/T2, ISDB-T, DTMB, CMMB and ATSC/ ATSC 3.0). CHIRplus_BC for example fully supports DVB-T2 planning. It takes into consideration the higher complexity of DVB-T2 which comes with more parameters than the conventional DVB-T. It offers enhanced configuration possibilities and pre-sets for the various T2-constellations and reception modes. As not all combinations of pilot pattern, constellation and guard interval, etc, are possible according to the DVB-T2 specification, the user is only able to select valid combinations in CHIRplus_BC. You can also plan DVB-T2 ‘Lite’ by selecting the ‘T2-lite profile’ with the appropriate modes and T2-lite additional code rates. Of course, CHIRplus_BC also includes the specific planning parameters and processes for ISDB-T and ATSC/ ATSC 3.0.
Furthermore, the introduction of LTE networks in adjacent broadcast channels very often has a negative effect on DVB-T networks and causes substantial interference at DVB-T receivers. CHIRplus_BC is able to simulate and analyse the effect of LTE on DVB-T and thus offer the user the capabilities to plan an ordered coexistence of both technologies.
Why use CHIRplus_BC?
Learn more about the key features of CHIRplus_BC
Dedicated Broadcast Engineering Tool
- Optimized to plan and coordinate broadcast transmitters/networks
- Pre-defined broadcast specific parameter settings
- Extensive broadcast engineering capabilities
Following ITU Standards & Recommendations
- Support of coordination processes according to ITU and relevant international plans (e.g. Geneva 06)
- Easy access to data query and import from BR IFIC, IDWM (ITU Digitized World Map)
- As a member in several ITU-R study groups, LS telcom implements all relevant recommendations
Automatic Channel Assignment
- Taking into account the coverage of the network stations
- Assessment using raster field strength calculations or a more generalized contour approach
- Considering interference and self-interference
- Re-assign all channels or chose to search new channels for certain transmitters of the network only
- Huge productivity gain for large networks
- Integrated multi-threading network processor, which calculates several results simultaneously and reduces the calculation time considerably
- Support of both analogue and digital systems
- Covers the calculation of self-interference and statistical network gain
Supporting all relevant standards
- Digital TV: DVB-T2, DVB-T, ATSC 3.0, ISDB-T
- Digital Radio: T-DAB/DAB+, DRM, DRM+
- Analogue Radio: FM, LF/MF, HF
- Dedicated Broadcast Engineering Tool
- Following ITU Standards & Recommendations
- Automatic Channel Assignment
- Network Planning
- Supporting all relevant standards
Improvements of upcoming CHIRplus_BC release
Learn more about the newly added features of CHIRplus_BC
LTE-based 5G broadcast
For LTE-based 5G broadcast we have revised the network processor to support transmitters up to Release 17. Network simulations for cyclic prefixes from 4.7 µs to 300 µs are possible. Beside the standard mobile bandwidth values the upcoming release also supports the standard broadcast channel bandwidth values of 6, 7 and 8 MHz. As starting and reference parameters the tool offers the 4 receiving conditions outlined in EBU TR 034 as well as the 6 receiving conditions outlined in EBU TR 063. Of course, user defined parameters for the receiving conditions are possible as well.
Improved automatic processing capabilities
We have improved the automatic processing capabilities of the tool by increasing and enhancing the functions available via macro commands. The new commands support allotments, automatic processing of area results, threshold display and a more convenient access to the detailed area result values.
Updated wave propagation models
To keep our field strength prediction models up to date we have implemented the most recent revisions of the respective ITU Recommendations. We added version 6 of ITU-R 1812, version 18 of ITU-R P.530 and version 17 of ITU-R P.452.
Planning of radio networks often requires the consideration of multiple, area-based result information at the same time. To support productive and convenient usage of the related area results CHIRplus_BC now supports a coupled scrolling and zooming within multiple area result.
- LTE-based 5G broadcast
- Improved automatic processing capabilities
- Updated wave propagation models
- Tool Handling